Emirates Air Line
A first for London, the new Emirates Air Line has the capacity to carry 2,500 passengers per hour in each direction, improving cross-river links and reducing journey times. Construction started in July 2011 and the project was completed in summer 2012.
Transport for London appointed a world-class team to deliver the new scheme, led by Mace together with lead consultant AECOM (formerly URS) as well as Doppelmayr, Buro Happold, Aedas, Bachy and Watson Steel. We provided the detailed design for the Air Line.
At nearly 90 metres high it provides commanding aerial views of the City and the rejuvenated Docklands. A journey in a spacious 10-seat cabin, fitted with a touch-screen, multilingual infotainment system and with 360 degree panoramic windows, is an experience not to be missed.
- Lead consultant and design manager
- Civil and structural engineering
- Mechanical and electrical engineering
- Town planning and environmental services
- Systems engineering and technical assurance
- Third party and interface management